Saturday, February 27, 2010

A BED UNDER THE STARS IN HUARPE COUNTRY


I arrived to Mendoza city in an unusual Honda Accord... In the city, I was picked up by Sergio and Viviana, doctors based in Villa Tulumaya, in the northern area of Lavalle. Sergio had pickep a copy of my book in a bookshop in Mendoza, and had invited me to witness the problematic of their area.





Sergio and Viviana hence explained me how the deviation of the Mendoza river for irrigation near the capital implies less water level in the area, and the increase in arsenic and other mineral concentration...



So to get a sample of the rpoblem they took me to Laguna del Rosario, a Huarpe community that lives basically from goats. The area used to grow crops, but then the water problem and the increase of harvest coast led to the abbandonment of agriculture. The lake for which the town is named is now dry...



In top of that, there is a priest called Benito who receives credit from BID and other transoceanic sponsors in the name of this people. Most of them, however, claim that they have never receive a penny. Benito is currently extending his influence in the whole region. Some members of the now divided community see the situation as a new conquer... while others remain shy...



Bothered by the presence of unsensible film-makers from Buenos Aires I left the town towards San jose, another community... I had to walk 25 km along the railways... which was great excercise!



On the way I met the Morales family. They put me up.... in a gorgeous bed under the stars!!!



Mate is never absent!



My great bed next to the horses and the karts (called "sulkys")...

No comments: